Friday 18 January 2019

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe



















The dark, winter months are a great time for curling up with a book, and I find that it's also a time when  my thoughts turn to books that I loved when I was a child.

A particular favuorite was C.S. Lewis's The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, the first of The Chronicles of Narnia. C.S.Lewis spent some of his youth in the Surrey Hills area of the UK where I live. He arrived to stay in the house of a private tutor to whom his father sent him to finish his education, up until then, a very unhappy period of his life.

I














In his autobiography, Surprised by Joy, Lewis describes his time under the tutelage of William T. Kirkpatrick, the retired headmaster of his father's old school, as one of the happiest of his life. The Surrey Hills are a beautiful part of south-east England, still unspoiled in spite of their proximity to London. At the beginning of the twentieth century, they must have been even more idyllic. Lewis went on to spend the majority of the rest of his life at Oxford University, but he retained a fondness for Surrey. It's thought that Kirkpatrick was the model for the professor in The Chronicles of Narnia.

Narnia fans were delighted when, a few years ago, the conservators of Banstead Common, an area not far from the Surrey Hills, decided to commemorate Lewis's famous stories with a sculpture trail created from standing deadwood. It’s something that will, I'm sure, give great pleasure to many future generations of adults and children.




I'd love to hear about your favourite childhood books and any stories associated with them that you'd like to share.

6 comments:

  1. I was born in Dorking and my mother was from Terni next door to Narni where Lewis spent time and whence comes the name Narnia. Odd connection. More to the point I just finished the first Nuala book and bought the second and stopped here to say I enjoyed it very much (obviously) as much for its recreation of the time and place as the plot which created a satisfying read. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How interesting, thank you for getting in touch with that. I’m so glad you’re enjoying the Nuala books. Lovely dog! I’m a great fan of Labradors having grown up with them in the family. Good wishes, Harriet

      Delete
  2. I loved Susan Cooper's "The Dark is Rising" series. Many years later, I read it aloud to my students. They were Chinese children, growing up and going to school in Beijing, and English was still relatively unfamiliar to them, but they still had no trouble finding resonance in the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely story. It sounds like you’ve had a very interesting teaching career. Did you spend long in China?

      Delete


  3. computer places near me


    Welcome to WillPowerPCS. Get online used and new computers for sell. WillPowerPcs is a best places for quality computer repairs. Contact us - 518-892-4419

    https://willpowerpcs.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi!A lots of information daily published but your content is very important for me.
    Modular wardrobes

    ReplyDelete